Carrum Station Options for a Trench
A rail under road design is not possible in Carrum due to:
1. The distance between the Patterson River and McLeod Road is not long enough to provide train clearance under the road and return to ground level before the Patterson River rail bridge at an incline that would allow trains to run safely.
2. A steeper incline would not meet metro and freight rail standards for safe operation.
3. Changes to the Patterson River rail bridge would require a closure of the Frankston line for up to six months, which is not feasible for commuters or freight operators.
4. Lowering the Patterson River rail bridge would impact boat access.
5. Moving the McLeod Road connection further south would increase congestion, reduce traffic flow and move the station 350 metres south away from shops and services.
We will look at each of these points but not in the order given above.
See full responce in PDF document – March 2017 summary of options.